photo home_zpsa8950ff0.png photo aboutus_zps7905e1e6.png photo pretties_zpsd998a65c.png photo party_zps917c9465.png photo contact_zpscecf86f2.png

Monday, October 27, 2014

How to Create a Spook-tacular Care Package


My little sister is away at college and what better way to show her some love than by sending her a great care package!
Care packages are perfect for long distance relationships, siblings in college, friends or family on mission trips, or if you just want to send a pick me up to a loved one (y’all know my love for snail mail, and care packages are no exception!)  
I always like to pick a theme for my boxes. This makes it a little bit easier to figure out what to fill it up with and it helps with thinking of ideas on how you want to decorate your box. With Halloween right around the corner, I decided to create a “Boo Box” for my little sister.


Here’s a list of what I put inside:
  • Caramel Apple Lollipops (Might possibly be my favorite fall candy that comes out this time of year!)
  • Amy’s Favorite Candy with a Vampire tag (I made it using Microsoft Publisher and printed it out on cardstock) and attached Vampire Fangs to it.
  • Glow Stick Bracelets (97 cents at Walmart)  
  • Pumpkin Carving Kit
  • M&M cookies that I placed in a small Halloween Tin (I found the tin at Walmart for about $3)
  • A broom goodie bag filled with sweet treats (for how to make the broom, click here)
  • Hot Apple Cider packets (**the postal service kinda condemns mailing liquids, so opt for packages of hot chocolate or apple cider)
  • Count Chocula Cereal (only the best chocolate cereal of all time!)
  • Glow in the Dark Vampire Fangs ($1 at Target)
What else you could add:
  • Fall candle (Bath and Body Works usually has their mini ones 3 for $10)
  • Bags of popcorn
  • A fun Halloween mask
  • Halloween Movies (Here’s a few of my favorites: Hocus Pocus, A Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, Hotel Transylvania, Young Frankenstein, and Coraline)
Once you fill up the box, it’s time for the fun part (or at least my favorite part), decorating your box! I purchased a 14 by 14 box at Walmart for about 68 cents, I assembled the box then painted the flaps (card board does soak up paint so you will have to paint two or three coats, or you could glue on scrapbooking paper instead). I printed off a few Halloween themed clip art that I found online onto cardstock and cut them out. I modge podged them on the flaps, then drew out cute sayings like, “ghouls night out” or “I am ‘BATTY’ for you” that I went over with Sharpie or paint.

Since I was giving the box to her and it wasn’t going to be tossled and jostled while being shipped, I decided that I still wanted the surprise to be hidden when she opened it.  I bought decorative spider webs (at Target for $1) and stapled them to the box and placed stretchy colorful spiders on top (also at Target for $1).
 It turned out pretty fun and cute if I do say so myself! I hope you have as much fun compiling your care package as I did!
Keep Celebrating!

1 comment: