photo home_zpsa8950ff0.png photo aboutus_zps7905e1e6.png photo pretties_zpsd998a65c.png photo party_zps917c9465.png photo contact_zpscecf86f2.png

Monday, September 8, 2014

Celebrate YOU: Feeding your Soul


Today we’re picking up in our Celebrate YOU series and talking about ‘feeding your soul’.  I’m sure you’ve heard the term ‘quiet time’ thrown around in one way or another.  In my opinion, this is the most vital step in celebrating YOURSELF.  Giving yourself some time alone with your maker each morning is just good for you. It kicks off your day on the right foot, and I don’t know about you, but whenever I have quiet time I just feel better.



Listen, I am almost constantly talking to God. Constantly.  Whether I’m driving down the road or asking for patience while my three year old is screaming because he refuses to eat his dinner.  I just have to. It keeps me sane.  I know that I’m completely far from perfect (because if I was, I wouldn't need quiet time!), and that I need to pray.



But I do think it’s important to set aside some time, an hour, a minute, whatever you can, to spend some time completely devoted to the Lord.  So here’s what my quiet time looks like…

I pray.
Where I come from, prayer is not something that has to be perfect.  There’s no right prayer or wrong prayer.  There’s no magical words that I have to say to ensure that God is listening.  It’s just talking.  Telling Him what’s on my heart.  Tell him my concerns and my desires.  Just pouring everything I have on to him.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6

“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” Colossians 4:2

“Pray continually;” 1 Thessalonians 5:17

That last one is my favorite.  “Pray continually”. That’s it.  It doesn’t say how to pray, it doesn’t say what to pray, it just says to pray and pray continually.

I really really encourage you to pray!

I journal.

I have 2 journals.  One is just notes that I take from what I’ve read or what verse is speaking to my heart.  Sometimes it’s scribbled and a mess of thoughts, and sometimes it looks like this…


I’m always so intrigued by the thoughts that enter my head when I’m trying to make a perfect ‘L’ with a pretty colored pen.  It’s said that we should meditate on scripture, and I’ve found that this is a good way for me to meditate on each word.  My thoughts slow down, and I am concentrating on what I’m writing.  Things seem to pop in my head that I didn’t know were there. I know it sounds silly, but it works for me! 

My other journal is a simple legal pad that I call my ‘thankful’ journal. Each day I make myself write down 5 things that I’m currently thankful for and 5 things that are on my heart (prayers).  Notice I said make.  Sometimes it’s just one of those doom and gloom days, and I don’t feel like being thankful for anything.  I’ve realized that if I can just start my day off by looking at the bigger picture, it tends to bring me up on those down days.

You always have somethingS to be thankful for.  Always, always, always.

Sometimes my ‘I am thankful for’s are big.  Like good doctor’s visits, and a sorority sister getting her new pair of long awaited lungs.  And sometimes they’re just really simple things.  Like nice people to work with, or a great conversation with a friend.

There’s always something to be thankful for.

“O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!” Psalm 118:1

Then there’s my 5 prayers.  Sometimes those prayers are deep, and urgent, and somewhat scary.  And sometimes they’re just prayers that my son has a good day at preschool, or that I have a safe road trip out of town.

There’s always something or someone to pray for.

The coolest part is looking back on this journal and seeing what I had prayed for, and how God answered my prayer. 

Remember:  God will ALWAYS answer your prayers.  They just might not be the answer you were wanting.

I read the Bible and books by Christian authors.

Usually I do this simultaneously.  I’ll start out by reading my book or devotion and then study the scriptures that were used in my readings.  

Currently I am reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan and His Princess by Sheri Rose.  I’ve got my eye on ‘Bringing Up Boys’ by Dr. James Dobson and plan to read that next. I really encourage you to find a devotion or book.  

These books are definitely not a substitute for the Bible, but it is nice to read others Christian perspectives on what life can throw at you.
Here are a few devotions that we have read or are currently reading that we think you might enjoy…
I really really encourage you to take some time for YOU for your SOUL, the most important part of you, and start your day off with the Lord.  Whether it be an hour or a few minutes, just kick off your day by spending time with God.  It will start your day off on the right foot and your time with the Lord will last throughout the day.

“Abide in me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me, and I in him, he is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:4-5

Psst… Both of the 5x7 printables can be found on our google docs site, in case you’re interested ;) just click on the prints to be redirected.

Keep Celebrating,



1 comment: